Friday, June 17, 2011

Chicken Update: Narrowing the List

After speaking to Garland at Distinction Farms, whose name or may not be Wayne, I have decided on the following breeds of hen:


Barred Rock Hen - the beautiful striped one above. Is she gorgeous? And apparently she's snuggly and lays big brown eggs.


Buff Brahma Hen - the cute little one below. She is snuggly and lays brown eggs too. Plus I need this color.


Black Sex Link - bottom picture. I have to say that I hate the name black sex link and I was a little scared to google it, and I don't think I need to explain why.

But the reason it's called Black Sex Link is fascinating. This chicken was bred so that you tell the males from the females very easily, as soon as they hatch. The girl chicks are all black and fluffy, the boys are all black and fluffy with a white spot on their heads. Is that so cute! But best of all, they lay big brown eggs and like to snuggle.


The photos were taken from my two favorite chicken sites: Backyard Chickens and My Pet Chicken. Who would have thought so many other people would love chickens, too? I was reading in one of the chicken books I got from the library
that there was a huge chicken craze in the 1800s and chickens shot right up to $70 a piece for some breeds. That's like $1,200 in today's money. I'm remembering the figures right off the top of my head because I'm lazy. Plus I don't want to plagiarize. But it was something like that. A person can buy a perfectly lovely hen, like one of the ones above, for about $10 a piece. That's like 2 cents in 1840. I call that a bargain.

Okay, that's the update for today. Thank you to Wayne/Garland for all of his help in making my decision. I'll keep you posted.

0 comments:

Post a Comment