Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Daily Diversion 1: Cape Cod Makeover

Let's think of something to do while we're waiting. While we're waiting for something new to do! That was Mr. Rogers, of course. A source of many a musical utterance that erupts from my vocal chords. But very apt in this case since:

a. We have not yet heard if the bank has accepted our offer.
b. We need something to do while we wait.
c. Wellington needs something done to him.
d. HGTV has the show Curb Appeal.
e. I have a laptop that can play Curb Appeal shows.
f. I have a laptop that can also capture images on the screen.

So with these things in mind, I have recently been captivated by a particular episode called "Captivating Cape Cod." Before you say Wellington isn't a Cape Cod, I would like to point out that he has all the spunk and appeal of a Cape Cod, so could benefit from whatever sprucing up one might do to a Cape Cod. Here's what I'm talking about.

This is the little Cape Cod in question. Not too bad, actually. But its owner thought it was boring and apparently hated cherry trees. So she managed to talk Curb Appeal into coming over and revamping her house.

First they shoved some blue paint on there and redid the roof. They added a portico, too. None of that is necessary for Wellington. But here's something I liked. They put on this dutch door (don't pay any attention to that guy, he just works there). I always liked dutch doors, but they seemed impractical because if you open the top half you have a big hole in your house. BUT with the help of modern technology, they have added this little screen thingy that is actually attached up inside the top part of the door frame. You pull it down and you have a screen door that's cute instead of ugly!

Then they added these pieces of picket fence. I'm not too interested in pieces of picket fence. I want a whole picket fence. But I like this style.


There's that guy again.







And for the garden I just loved these two plants. The first one is goldenrod. But the second one is called, I'm not kidding, White Turtlehead. Not only that, it's supposedly the host plant for the endangered checkerspot butterfly.


Here is the "after" photo. The cherry tree was murdered and they didn't do a whole picket fence for some reason, but other than that I think it's pretty cute. I particularly like the window boxes.





Alrighty. All done waiting now.




0 comments:

Post a Comment