Sunday, January 30, 2011

No Frogs

I have recently come to the realization that there are no frogs in Benicia. We have lived here eight months and I don't think I've ever heard a frog croaking. Is it because we are so close to the water? Is the climate somehow not pleasing to frogs? Whatever the reason, I'm not going to fret. I have a library and the library has CDs and one of them is called "Frogs". This CD (Frogs) has two tracks, both with 24 minutes of frog noise. You have a lack of frog noises? Go pick some up at the library for free. That's my philosophy.
.
But it got me to wondering: why are there no frogs in Benicia? So I went to Google and typed in "why don't I have frogs." Believe it or not there were no answers. There were lots of entries about frogs, though. Including this little critter who is called a "horned frog" but I'm calling him a "leaf frog" on account of he looks like he is made of leaves. But no one answered my question "why don't I have frogs." I'm not disappointed. Because as I was typing, Google tried to anticipate my question. "Why don't I have friends," it typed.
.
So while I sit here without frogs, I can listen to my borrowed frog CD and revel in the knowledge that at least I have friends. I kind of wouldn't mind my own Leaf Frog, though.
.
Maybe frogs come to Benicia in March. I've never lived here in March. I'll keep you posted.
Update: There are indeed frogs in Benicia. You just have to know when and where to listen. I'm not sure when or where, but I have heard them recently. The daughter pointed them out.

1 comments:

  1. Perhaps I should have told you I heard a frog croaking our backyard a day or two ago. Fret no more.

    Either that or it was a cat yakking up a hairball.

    Except it was definitely a frog.

    ReplyDelete