Monday, January 17, 2011

A Foggy Weekend at Wellington


view from Wellington towards water

It was foggy absolutely ALL WEEKEND here. Friday afternoon we had a little sun. Just enough to lead you on. Just enough to make you believe the weather reports - sunny and almost 70 degrees. That's my 3rd favorite temperature! But we were disappointed. Only partially. Because although it was, as previously stated, foggy absolutely ALL WEEKEND, that meant we got to relax and have fires and watch movies. Some of us ran right up the fig tree.Actually, the daughter spent Saturday night in San Francisco with some "friends" she apparently likes more than her "mother." But I suppose that's healthy. And anyway, it meant that the husband and I got to stay home and snuggle. Theoretically.



Speaking of theories, look how well this little vine is creeping towards one of the birdhouses. Is it too cute? And picturesque? Which apparently means something different than picaresque, but when all is said and done, does it really matter? No! Because look:


I found this book at the library. And it contains a picture of a house in South Pasadena that is sort of similar to Wellington. It is a Craftsman-style home, but with a full 2nd story, which some people would say keep it from being a true Craftsman. They're wrong, though. And also it has a slopey roof over the front porch, like Wellington. And a 2nd story terrace/balcony with the teeniest bit of the balcony wall showing from the front, just like Wellington. I wanted to include a picture of it in here, but I couldn't find it online and I'm too lazy to scan. So you'll just have to imagine what it looks like. Maybe this will help:

"With its swooping roofline descending to shelter its front porch, this full two-story Craftsman-style house was deliberately styled to resemble a smaller bungalow."

See? And because I used the picture from the front cover, as well as this quote, I better say the title and authors so I don't get in trouble for plagiarism. Here it is: Beyond the Bungalow by Paul Duchscherer and Linda Svendsen. It's a good one. I highly recommend it.

There. I did my duty. And don't you just love, love, love Downton Abbey on Masterpiece Theater?

Now for a cup of tea.

0 comments:

Post a Comment