Monday, May 30, 2011

Book Acquisition Update 1

Following is a list of books I bought yesterday at the Friends of the Benicia Library bookshop. It's just a little alcove in the library, but I LOVE it and here's why: it's right up the street; it has a constantly-changing supply of books; they're (mostly) all $1.

The first book is what The Dot and I call a "Pink Book" - books that are just fun to read, like candy for the brain. While they don't have to be substantive, they still have to be well written or else, let's face it, that's just tedious and who needs tedium when all you're trying to do is read a book?

It's called Yummy Mummy and it's about moms in London - fascinating fun to be had. I also have to suggest that you don't google "yummy mummy" because some of the images are just inappropriate. What are people thinking? I really don't want to see a picture of a middle aged housewife in her underwear flexing her biceps no matter how toned she is. Come ON people. Have a little self respect.

Next up is a book I like to call "Nobody's Fool" mostly because Richard Russo called it that right about the time he had it published. This one is a little iffy. Not my favorite genre - family angst, old men, divorce - you know what I'm talking about. But it was well reviewed on Amazon and I take that as a good sign.


This next one is also a real departure for me. I probably won't ever read it, but what I liked about it is that it's an Advanced Reader's Copy of a book that has almost five stars on Amazon. It's about teenage immaculate conception which generally isn't my favorite topic. Additionally just LOOK at how much the author looks like the cover photo. That's taking self-promotion one step too far. But keep in mind - $1. At the very least I can trade it for something better.







She kind of looks like Laura Linney.



My last new acquisition was written by an 83 year old man. I will try not to have a hang up about that while I'm reading it. It's supposed to be good, dry and funny which are three of my favorites.


But first I'm going to finish reading Nightingale Wood by Stella Gibbons which I'm thoroughly enjoying. I haven't read Ship Breaker yet, which my readers will remember was supposed to be next in line, because I was intimidated by the due date. Nightingale Wood was written in the 1930s. If it were written today I would berate the author for not doing her research about the 1930s. But apparently I'd be wrong. Intriguing! This book belongs to The Dot and she insisted on me reading it - right again Dot!



I'm also reading Little Witch by Anna Elizabeth Bennet which I last read in 3rd grade and have never forgotten. I recently found it on half.com (thanks reader Heidi) and now I OWN it. I'm savoring that one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment