Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What I'm Reading, What I Read, What I'm Going to Read

Much to The Dot's pleasure, What I'm Reading now is Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire.

She's a huge fan, and for good reason. He has a way with words, which is helpful when you're a writer. I did read Wicked long ago, after much prodding by Dot, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have this block when it comes to Young Adult books since I am not one anymore. But this book is a pleasure to read and a departure from what I recently read which was:
The Forgotten Garden, by Kate Morton. I really liked this book. So much so that I recently purchased The House at Riverton (for $1!). This book jumped back and forth and more forth and even more back. A lot. But it was a great story and very well written. That's all I'm saying about that. If you want to know what it was about, go to Amazon. That's what that's for.



As usual, I'm most excited about the book I'm Going to Read. Which is:




Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi. Much to my own surprise, I'm choosing to read this Young Adult novel. But with good reason. I recently read The Windup Girl, which The Dot had given me for Christmas and I loved. My favorite type of book is one in which the author creates a new world and brings you inside. Paolo Bacigalupi did a great job of that in the Windup Girl. The only problem was, it wasn't a place I very much wanted to be. But THIS one is for YA, so it has to be a little easier to take. Regardless, if it's as good as The Windup Girl, I'll go there and enjoy it.

BTW, the painting above is by a Dutch painter called Koekkoek. Which I'm thinking is pronounced Kek Kek, and that's just cute. The painting looks like the village in which Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister is set. Now I'm going to go finish it up so I can start Ship Breaker before it's due at the library. I'm fairly certain I won't make the deadline, but by then I should know whether or not it's a keeper. I'll let you know.

Update:  It wasn't.

0 comments:

Post a Comment