Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy Birthday USA!

It was recently the 4th of July here in Benicia. In the true Small Town spirit, Benicia really celebrated! We had a good old fashioned parade on July 3rd, complete with the Armed Forces and the Firefighters. Unfortunately the police were only working, they weren't represented in the parade. I wonder why. Police get a bum rap. They always get the worst facilities and the least praise. Our police department is actually housed in a pretty cool historic building. It's the old Benicia High School, right up the street (pics to follow in a different post), but it's an old building that also houses other city services. As we've seen before, the fire fighters have a new, gorgeous facility built in the Arts and Crafts style. AND they're represented in the parade. :( Poor police. Anyway, here are some of our armed forces.

And a pirate ship (it's only pretend), courtesy of Pizza Pirate. I didn't win the free pizza.


There were lots of classic cars, like the truck above, and these Mustangs.

Last night there were fireworks down at the pier. They shoot them off over the water. We usually walk downtown. Well, we've lived here one year, through two Independence Days and have walked downtown both times. I keep thinking I'll try to see if I can spot the fireworks from my bedroom balcony, but I don't want to miss anything, so I usually (two out of two) go with the fam to the end of 2nd Street and view the fireworks from there. Here are two completely inadequate photos, but they're all I have.

It was better in person. I just love this little old town.

0 comments:

Post a Comment