Wednesday, August 8, 2012

What's Up With That Girl?

Talk about nostalgia.  Nothing brings back the twinges of little girl hopes and dreams like an episode of That Girl.  Cute and sassy, living in New York City, successful enough at her waitress and actress jobs to be able to afford a one bedroom in the heart of the city.  Handsome quirky boyfriend,  supportive parents.  Goofy best friend living next door (Ruth Buzzi!).  She had it all.  That's why I was delighted to see that reruns are shown at 8 a.m. on weekdays on some channel we get.  Don't ask me which channel.  We only get nine, it's one of those.
I generally turn the show on in the mornings while I'm having my tea and reading my emails.  I listen out of one ear and sometimes catch some interesting tidbits of note.

For instance, Anne Marie's address in NYC was 627 E 54th St.  I googled it.  It's between Central Park and the river.  That's the Queensboro bridge in the background.  I wonder how much one of these apartments would go for in today's market. 
I don't need to wonder what it went for in 1968.  $88.43.  In one episode, some guy (Bernie Koppell, the Dr. on The Love Boat) thought she was rich and swindled her out of all her ready cash.  She asked Donald to lend her money to pay the rent, and that's how much she asked for.  It's possible she paid weekly.  But even if she paid daily, it wouldn't cover the monthly rent in today's market. 

To give you an idea, the one bedroom apartment at 420 E 54th Street, which is a bit farther from the water, but the closest I could find to this address, rents for $3185 and up.  This is what it looks like:


 If you had this view, I'm sure it would cost more.

I found this little video of a one bedroom in this building.  (Warning:  don't watch it if you are prone to motion sickness.)  This layout is remarkably like Anne Marie's except the bedroom is where the front door should be.  And they really have no business showing the toilet.  Anne Marie did not go to the bathroom.

Go ahead.  I did all the work, the least you could do is watch the video.  You owe me that much.  Of course, none of this will be of interest to you if you're not a fan of the show.  But then you probably wouldn't be reading my blog.

That was an hour well spent.  I think I've earned a nap.

0 comments:

Post a Comment